We love caviar limes. And for good reason: this citrus gem is versatile, delicious, and adds a needed pop to many different dishes.
Today we are sharing one of our favorite caviar lime recipes from Chef Amy Yi of Westbourne, an all-vegetarian, Californian-inspired cafe located in New York City. Westbourne takes 1% of each sale to donate to local youth hospitality training programs and hires directly from them afterward in a model that encourages neighborhood hospitality and inclusivity. Their zero-waste menu emphasizes organic and local produce in vibrant dishes inspired by the bounty of the west coast.
This savory and deeply nourishing sweet potato smash meets the refreshing edge of the caviar lime in a dish that is sure to bring nothing but warm and joyful memories this fall season. This dish is simple enough for anyone to make but sure to impress with its naturally vibrant and complex flavors. Read on for the full recipe!
- 6.5 oz steamed sweet potatoes
- 12.5 oz white miso
- 12.5 oz brown butter
- ¼ lemon
- 25 g creme fraiche
- 15 g herb salad
- 5 g fried shallots
- 2 organic caviar limes from Good Land Organics
- Combine 5 g each of fresh Thai basil, mint, and cilantro (washed and spun dry)
- Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt in a small mixing bowl
SWEET POTATO SMASH:
- Melt butter over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally to cook evenly
- Check and whisk every 5 minutes, making sure solids don’t stick to the bottom of the pan
- When butter reaches toasty-brown color and gives off a nutty aroma, take the pan off of the heat
- Place the browned butter into a heat-proof bowl to cool and solidify, making sure to collect all the caramelized milk solids
- Once completely cooled, whisk together the brown butter and white miso and set aside
- Wash sweet potatoes and steam until internal temperature reaches 200 degrees
- Take sweet potatoes and carefully tear into large chunks lengthwise, exposing the flesh
- Fry until edges are crispy
- Coat a metal bowl with a thin layer of brown butter miso
- After draining the oil from the potatoes, add them into the bowl
- Gently fold the potatoes with a large metal spoon so that they are evenly coated with the miso
- Place the potatoes in a bowl in one single layer, with some overlap
- Top with fresh lemon juice and creme fraiche drizzle
- Garnish with herb salad and fried shallots
- Finish with pearls from caviar limes
Is your mouth watering yet? Treat yourself to some organic caviar limes from Good Land Organics so you can experience the magic of this delightful fruit for yourself! Now using the plant-derived power of Apeel, these delicious caviar limes keep their flavor and freshness longer so that you can use the citrus pearls to add a perfect pop of lime wherever you need it, whenever you need it.